VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION REMINDER:
Join us today for our Volunteer Appreciation Lunch Saturday, January 20th from 12:30- 2:30pm. A variety of vegetarian and meat-lover's fare will be available. Whether you've volunteered once or numerous times at the farm, join us for this opportunity to thank YOU - in the Gym of Beecher Road School South. Please RSVP to Becca at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you can come. You're welcome - but not required - to bring a dish to share. Thanks for all you do for Massaro Community Farm!
EXPERIENCE THE MAGIC OF FARM-TO-FORK:
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR 2018 CSA
If you've been buying your produce from the supermarket, or picking up selected items here and there at a farmers' market, try a season of eating with us at Massaro Community Farm. Expand your palate and explore eating in alignment with the seasons as we share our farm bounty with you, and plenty of recipes as well. Flexible options available!*
- Support preservation of open space in your community.
- Support local job creation.
- Support a direct relationship with your local growers.
- Support connections with your neighbors.
- Support sharing our bounty with neighbors in need.
* Email our farm manager at email@example.com for flexible options.
A NEW SEASON OF WORKSHOPS BEGINS
Massaro Farm's collaboration with Connecticut Beekeeper's Association continues in 2018.
Register for the all-day Bee School, or mark your calendarfor the hands-on series taking place throughout the season at Massaro Community Farm.
BEE SCHOOL: February 3, 2018 (Housatonic Valley Regional High School in Falls Village)
FARM WORKSHOP SERIES: each day at 9:00am, repeating at
March 24 - Package Installation
April 21 - Spring Inspection
May 5 - Supering and Inspection
May 1 - Nucleus Hives & Summer Management
July 21 - Starting Fall Preparation
September 15 - Winter Preparation
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
February 24, 2018 2:00pm - Composting Workshop
co-hosted by Massaro Community Farm and taking place at Ansonia Nature Center. Registration details to follow.
MASSARO AND WOODBRIDGE LIBRARY CO-HOST NEW SERIES
Spots are disappearing quickly for our Vegetarian Potluck Supper at the library! Join us for this co-hosted event to ponder, talk about and appreciate local food. RSVP for this potluck, the first in a four-part series, on January 31 from 6:00-8:00pm in the community room of the Woodbridge Town Library.Upcoming dates:
February 28, 2018 6:00pm - Screening of the documentary "Fresh," followed by a discussion
March 28, 2018 6:00pm - Eating with the Seasons, with Meg Fama, chef/owner of Farm Belly Food Truck
April 25, 2018 6:00pm - Cooking with Herbs & Spices from Your Garden, with Natalie Glidden, community and family herbalist
FOOD-RELATED JOB OPENINGS
Kick off the new year by exploring these openings in farm and food-related positions:
- Massaro Community Farm is looking for teachers to assist with our curriculum-based field trips and summer camp.The farm also seeks administrative support and a farmers' market manager. Email the farm office or call us (203-736-8618) for complete job descriptions.
- Fellow farm and CSA, Boulder Knoll Community Farm in Cheshire, is looking for an experienced farm manager for ~2 acres of diversified vegetables. Please send cover letter, resume and three references to
- New Haven Farms is looking to fill several positions to support their urban farm and nutrition education efforts. See full descriptions here.
- Applications are now being accepted for FoodCorps, a program of AmeriCorps that places service members in communities where school gardens and nutrition education are lacking, and where childhood obesity is high. Apply to serve next year at Massaro Community Farm, or one of 19 other sites around Connecticut.
Please share these job postings with friends and colleagues! We love to see our farm family grow.
The farm thanks its event & program supporters.
Community Foundation of Greater New Haven
Valley Community Foundation
William & Jeannie Graustein
The La Tronica Family
(Fair Winds Farm, Lock Stock & Barrel & The UPS Store)
The Crippled Children's Fund
Paul & Judith DeCoster * Southern CT State University
Buckley, Wynne & Parese * Laticrete International * Griffin Hospital
Real Living-Wareck D'Ostillio * The Kayne Family
The Valley Community Foundation * Stihl
BIC Corporation *
Hocon Gas, Inc. *
Schaefer Inspection Services
A-1 Toyota * Ciola Excavation LLC * Guido & Anne Calibrese * Nancy Daoud
Jacobi, Case & Speranzini PC *
Serv-Pro of Milford-Orange-Sratford
Marcus Insurance *
Stop & Shop