Keep farming, feed people, build community
July 10, 2023
Notes From the Farm
Lots happening on the farm this week: we have Big Green Truck Pizza on Tuesday, July 11, from 3-6pm; on Friday, July 14 from 6-7:30pm we have an Everything Elderberry workshop with Caty Poole (click the link for details and registration); and we’ll have our monthly beekeeping workshop this Saturday, July 15 at 9am, led by Ted Jones of Jones Apiaries in Farmington. Suggested donation for beekeeping is: $10/pp.
A great mix of flowers are blooming across the farm. We’ll have bouquets available for sale at CSA pickup this week and our flower CSA will begin next week. With our flower CSA you’ll take home a beautiful bunch of flowers each week along with your produce. In July and August the flowers will come from our fields, and then in September and October we’ll have dahlias from partner farms including Off Center Farm in Woodbridge. Send an email to email@example.com to reserve your flower CSA or sign up at the farm. Bunches will vary week to week as we bring in flowers of different colors, shapes and sizes.
Limited availability; farm pickup only (Tuesday or Friday), $180 ($15/week). Start date Tuesday, July 18; end date Friday, October 6.
We continue a heavy harvest of zucchini, mixed summer squash, and greens this week. More cucumbers should be coming in as well along with beets, fennel, and basil. String beans and herbs are ready to harvest in the u-pick field. If you plan on doing the u-pick, we recommend doing so before picking up the rest of your items in the barn. Temperatures are forecast to be high, so please have sun protection and limit you heat exposure. We’ll plan to have some u-pick crops harvested for those who can’t make it out there or in the event we need to close the field due to unsafe conditions.
-Farmer Steve and our Farmers: Alyssa, Alanna, Bella, Cass, Faith, Kate, Kayla, Leah, Maddie, Morrigan, MC
This Week’s Anticipated Harvest:
Zucchini, Summer Squash, Cucumbers, Red leaf and Romaine Lettuces, Kale, Collards or Chard, Basil, Beets or Fennel
String beans – mix of purple, yellow and green; dill, cilantro, parsley, tulsi
Big Green Truck Pizza
Big Green Truck Pizza will be at the farm from 3-6pm on Tuesdays once per month:
- Tuesday, July 11
- Tuesday, August 1
- Tuesday, September 5
- Tuesday, October 3
They’ll be parked in the parking area, making a variety of their favorite pies for you to choose from. Payment can be made to Big Green Truck here with cash, venmo, or paypal.
CSA parking area/pickup images
See images below for an overhead view of the pickup areas at Massaro and at District.
Help Finish the Solar Pavilion in our Learning Garden
Sustainable CT will match every dollar donated up to $15,000!
Our learning garden pavilion is in the final stages of construction, and we need your help to get it finished. When completed, the pavilion will serve the hundreds of school children who come to the farm on field trips, our summer camp programs for ages 5-13, our after-school and home-school programs, as well as our adult workshops, farmer trainings and community gatherings. Giving at any level counts, and with your help we can make it happen!
If you prefer to give offline by cash or check please make payments to Massaro Community Farm and drop off or mail to 41 Ford Rd., Woodbridge, CT 06525.
If you have questions or inquiries please contact Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the farm office at 203-736-8618
Donate to Help Finish the Pavilion
Recipes and Cooking Ideas
Kale and Fennel Salad with cranberries and walnuts
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 lbs kale roughly 8 cups, packed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove stalks and fronds from fennel. Chop fennel bulb into bite-sized cubes and pieces.
- Remove stems from the kale leaves, and cut the kale into bite-sized pieces or strips. You can discard the stems, or slice them very thinly and use as well.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chopped fennel to pot and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add kale by the handful, stirring gently until wilted, but still bright green, about 8 minutes. Stir in sherry, pepper flakes and cranberries.
- Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes in a 350°F oven or toaster oven until golden brown and fragrant. Or, you can toast them on a dry skillet over medium heat. Let the walnuts cool briefly, then stir into the fennel and kale mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and serve.
CSA Pickup Instructions and Reminders
Balancing Tuesday and Friday CSA pickup: Quite a few more people who have chosen Tuesday than Friday for on-farm CSA pickup. If you are willing and able to switch to Fridays, please let us know, as that will help us balance the days and reduce traffic.
A request for 10-week Flexible/Half CSA subscribers:
Please send your pickup plan in an email to email@example.com if you haven’t already. The majority thus far have chosen to begin picking up Week 1 and doing alternating weeks from there. If you haven’t yet sent your plan in, you can help balance out our harvest days and limit crowding by starting with Week 2. We generally suggest picking up every other week, beginning either week 1 or 2, but the plan is flexible to allow you to choose any 10 weeks you would like. Please send us your plan now.
Reminder emails from GrownBy: GrownBy sends reminder emails ahead of your CSA pickup day each week for our 20-week subscribers, and uses a default of picking up alternating weeks, beginning with either week 1 or 2 for our 10-week subscribers. We know that many people switch pickup days as needed, and have a different pickup plan than the alternating weeks. As a result, you may receive some reminder emails that don’t match with your pickup plan or changes. Know that we are working with GrownBy to make adjustments to the auto reminder emails. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding on this.
On-Farm Pickups – Tuesdays 2:30-6:30pm; Fridays 12:30-5:30pm
- Come on in to the big red barn: Park in the parking area on the north side of the barn, walk down the steps and and enter the barn through the east barn door entry. Our harvest will be set out in bins with instructions for you to select and bag your own produce. Staff and/or volunteers will be there to help you as needed. Please bring your own bag or box.
- Please note that we will no longer be offering the drive thru pick up option. We will make up a few bags in advance for a quick pickup option for those who might need it.
- There is a handicap parking spot and an additional accessible spot next to the entry/exit on the south side of the barn.
- ALWAYS DRIVE SLOWLY at the farm – there is often programming here for kids, and the farm family with young children live here.
- When U-Pick crops are available, we recommend doing U-Pick first, then picking up your CSA when you are done. See map.
Delivery to District – Wednesdays, 3:30-7:30pm
- Located at 470 James St. at State St.
- Go to Door 004 for District Athletic Club (see map).
- CSA boxes will be stacked through the door and down the hall in the gym kitchen area.
- Pick up time is 3:30-7:30pm on Wednesdays.
- Take only one box of produce unless otherwise indicated, all boxes will be the same. Return your box each week and pick up a new one.
Egg CSA Subscriptions – a few more are still available
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
- Massaro Farm Egg cartons can be returned to us as long as they are in good, clean condition.
Fruit Option – a few more are still available
- Comes from High Hill Orchard in Meriden.
- Typically begins in early July once blueberries are ready to harvest.
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
Farm Store – for on-farm pick up only; not available for New Haven delivery
- Our eggs, honey and tomato products will be available each week as long as we have them. Purchase at pickup along with your produce.
- Products from our partner farms and local vendors may be available as well.
Communications: We send out a weekly CSA newsletter during the harvest season, and additional messages throughout the year. Please read them. There is often helpful information in them, or important updates that might answer questions you have. We also share news, stories and photos on facebook and instagram.
If you have a question, request, feedback, or need to be in touch for any reason, emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org is the best means of communication. This email is checked regularly, and we do our best to respond quickly. We’d love to talk with you when you are here on the farm and we can usually be found around the barn during CSA pickup hours, so grab our ears, pick our brains, chat us up or tell us what’s on your mind!
Bags: Please bring a reusable bag or box to take your produce home in. We will have compostable bags available for you if needed.
What if I miss a week?: If you are not able to make it to the farm to pick up your produce on a given week, you are welcome to have someone else pick up it up for you. Simply have them come to the farm or District on your behalf. Any produce that is not picked up will be donated, so know that it is put to good use! If you do miss a week, please understand that you are not entitled to additional produce on another week.
Produce Donations: Part of the farm’s mission and commitment to the community is to donate produce to local hunger relief organizations, which is more important than ever right now. To make this happen, we harvest additional produce for donation on CSA distribution days. Any produce not picked up by our CSA members is added to that donation. Thus, if you can’t make it one week to get your vegetables, know that your produce will go to people in need and is never wasted.
Want more of our produce?: As our harvest allows, we will offer additional produce for sale at the farm. If you don’t see something you want available in the store, please do let us know when you are here and we’ll see if we can offer it. We will be at the Q House market at 197 Dixwell Ave in New Have on Wednesday afternoons from 3-6pm and some weekend markets again beginning in late July.
Payment plans, and final payments: If you signed up through GrownBy for weekly or monthly payment plans, your card will be charged automatically. Please make sure your card is up to date. If you paid by check and you still have a balance for the CSA, please send in your final payments, or email your payment plan to: email@example.com.
(203) 736-861841 Ford Road, Woodbridge, CT