Keep farming, feed people, build community
October 23, 2023
Notes From the Farm
It is the final week of our main 20-week CSA season, and I want to thank you for spending these last five months with us here at Massaro. Your support of our small, organic farm makes a big impact, and we have deeply appreciated seeing you and talking with you throughout the season.
We have some great produce for you this final week including some particularly beautiful crops that we don’t see often: purple napa cabbage and daikon radishes. We’ll also share more lettuce, kale, green tomatoes, winter squash and garlic, and either or own potatoes or potatoes from Atlas Farm.
If you are not continuing on for the fall CSA extension, which is sold out, you can still get a taste of Massaro at some upcoming farmers markets, you can purchase produce fro Thanksgiving, and you can get a head start on 2024 by signing up for the 2024 CSA season now at our GrownBy page or by filling out our Registration Form.
Upcoming farmer’s market dates
- Wednesday 10/25 at Dixwell Q House, 3pm-6pm (final date this year)
- Sundays, Edgewood Park, 10am-1pm: 10/29, 11/12 & 11/19
- Saturdays at Wooster Square (Conte West School), 9am-1pm: 11/18
Get ready for Thanksgiving: Pre-order a Produce Bundle or Mini Bundle (see details below), and purchase a pasture-raised turkey from Ramble Creek Farm in Columbia, CT. Pickup here at Massaro on Monday, November 20, 12:30-5:30pm. Order produce bundles at our GrownBy shop, and a CT grown turkey directly from Ramble Creek Farm.
Produce Bundle – $80
4 pounds potatoes, 4 pounds sweet potatoes, 3 pounds yellow onions, 3 pounds carrots, 1 butternut squash, 1 acorn squash, 1 bunch celery, 1 pound brussels sprouts, 1 bunch sage and 1 bunch rosemary.
Mini Bundle – $40
2 pounds potatoes, 2 pounds sweet potatoes, 2 pounds yellow onions, 2 pounds carrots, 1 butternut squash, 1 bunch celery, half pound brussels sprouts.
-Farmer Steve and our Farmers: Alyssa, Alanna, Aloe, Cass, Cierra, Dune, Kayla, MC, Sophia
This Week’s Anticipated Harvest:
Napa Cabbage, Winter Squash, Lettuce, Kale, Potatoes*, Garlic, Daikon Radishes or Radishes,Peppers or Green Tomatoes
*from Atlas Farm
Closed for the season
Finished for the year
Big Green Truck Pizza
Big Green Truck Pizza will be at the farm from 3-6pm on Tuesdays once per month:
- Tuesday, November 28
They’ll be parked in the parking area, making a variety of their favorite pies for you to choose from. Payment can be made to Big Green Truck here with cash, venmo, or paypal.
CSA parking area/pickup images
See images below for an overhead view of the pickup areas at Massaro and at District.
Massaro Shirts & Sweatshirts
Get yourself a Massaro t-shirt or sweatshirt, or give it as a gift to family or friend for the holidays! Available in both adult and youth sizes, these items are pre-order only. All orders must be placed by 8:00pm on November 17th in order to receive your items.
Choose from two designs:
1.Massaro Logo on the front and Keep farming. Feed People. Build Community on the back.
2.Massaro Community Farm Oh Kale Yeah! on the front and the back is blank.
Shop Our Online Store
Recipes and Cooking Ideas
Roasted Napa Cabbage, Carrot and Daikon Radish
adapted from mamalikestocook.com
- 1 Small Napa Cabbage, chopped
- 2 Cups Daikon Radish, sliced
- 3-4 Medium Carrots, sliced
- 2 T Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Line 9″ x 12″ baking dish with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Put cabbage on the bottom and top with carrots and daikon radishes. Roast in oven for approx. 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add soy sauce or tamari, stir vegetables and then return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Serve as is or over rice
CSA Pickup Instructions and Reminders
Reminder emails from GrownBy: GrownBy sends reminder emails ahead of your CSA pickup day each week for our 20-week subscribers, and uses a default of picking up alternating weeks, beginning with either week 1 or 2 for our 10-week subscribers. We know that many people switch pickup days as needed, and have a different pickup plan than the alternating weeks. As a result, you may receive some reminder emails that don’t match with your pickup plan or changes. Know that we are working with GrownBy to make adjustments to the auto reminder emails. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding on this.
On-Farm Pickups – Tuesdays 2:30-6:30pm; Fridays 12:30-5:30pm
- Come on in to the big red barn: Park in the parking area on the north side of the barn, walk down the steps and and enter the barn through the east barn door entry. Our harvest will be set out in bins with instructions for you to select and bag your own produce. Staff and/or volunteers will be there to help you as needed. Please bring your own bag or box.
- Please note that we will no longer be offering the drive thru pick up option. We will make up a few bags in advance for a quick pickup option for those who might need it.
- There is a handicap parking spot and an additional accessible spot next to the entry/exit on the south side of the barn.
- ALWAYS DRIVE SLOWLY at the farm – there is often programming here for kids, and the farm family with young children live here.
- When U-Pick crops are available, we recommend doing U-Pick first, then picking up your CSA when you are done. See map.
Delivery to District – Wednesdays, 3:30-7:30pm
- Located at 470 James St. at State St.
- Go to Door 004 for District Athletic Club (see map).
- CSA boxes will be stacked through the door and down the hall in the gym kitchen area.
- Pick up time is 3:30-7:30pm on Wednesdays.
- Take only one box of produce unless otherwise indicated, all boxes will be the same. Return your box each week and pick up a new one.
Egg CSA Subscriptions
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
- Massaro Farm Egg cartons can be returned to us as long as they are in good, clean condition.
- Comes from High Hill Orchard in Meriden.
- Typically begins in early July once blueberries are ready to harvest.
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
Farm Store – for on-farm pick up only; not available for New Haven delivery
- Our eggs, honey and tomato products will be available each week as long as we have them. Purchase at pickup along with your produce.
- Products from our partner farms and local vendors may be available as well.
Communications: We send out a weekly CSA newsletter during the harvest season, and additional messages throughout the year. Please read them. There is often helpful information in them, or important updates that might answer questions you have. We also share news, stories and photos on facebook and instagram.
If you have a question, request, feedback, or need to be in touch for any reason, emailing us at email@example.com is the best means of communication. This email is checked regularly, and we do our best to respond quickly. We’d love to talk with you when you are here on the farm and we can usually be found around the barn during CSA pickup hours, so grab our ears, pick our brains, chat us up or tell us what’s on your mind!
Bags: Please bring a reusable bag or box to take your produce home in. We will have compostable bags available for you if needed.
What if I miss a week?: If you are not able to make it to the farm to pick up your produce on a given week, you are welcome to have someone else pick up it up for you. Simply have them come to the farm or District on your behalf. Any produce that is not picked up will be donated, so know that it is put to good use! If you do miss a week, please understand that you are not entitled to additional produce on another week.
Produce Donations: Part of the farm’s mission and commitment to the community is to donate produce to local hunger relief organizations, which is more important than ever right now. To make this happen, we harvest additional produce for donation on CSA distribution days. Any produce not picked up by our CSA members is added to that donation. Thus, if you can’t make it one week to get your vegetables, know that your produce will go to people in need and is never wasted.
Want more of our produce?: As our harvest allows, we will offer additional produce for sale at the farm. If you don’t see something you want available in the store, please do let us know when you are here and we’ll see if we can offer it. We will be at the Q House market at 197 Dixwell Ave in New Have on Wednesday afternoons from 3-6pm and some weekend markets again beginning in late July.
Payment plans, and final payments: If you signed up through GrownBy for weekly or monthly payment plans, your card will be charged automatically. Please make sure your card is up to date. If you paid by check and you still have a balance for the CSA, please send in your final payments, or email your payment plan to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
(203) 736-861841 Ford Road, Woodbridge, CT