Keep farming, feed people, build community
August 14, 2023
|Notes From the Farm
It is week #10 of the CSA, putting us at the midpoint of our 20-week season. Lots of crops have been harvested and lots more is in the ground for fall harvest. Our potatoes, sweet potatoes and winter squash are looking good, and in the last few weeks we’ve planted fall broccoli, cabbage, carrots, radishes, daikon, lettuce, radicchio, and more. As we’ve done in the past, we’ll plan to offer a 6-week CSA extension for November and December starting immediately after the end of the 20 weeks. More details coming soon.
Dinner on the Farm is set for Sunday, September 10th, and tickets are selling fast. Our unique farm-to-table event, brings people together for a fabulous family-style meal in a wonderful setting. Funds raised through ticket sales, sponsorships and silent auction help support our fresh produce donations to health, human service and hunger relief agencies, as well as our farm education programs. Click the linkto purchase tickets. We hope you can join us.
Farm”Gap Week” camp for kids ages 5-9 is next week, August 21-25, and we still have a few open spots. Hours are 8:30am – 3:30pm. Each day will be a mix of structured and free play with games, snacks, and crafts. Space is limited, so please sign up now if you are interested. Click the link to register for Gap Week camp.
-Farmer Steve and our Farmers: Alyssa, Alanna, Bella, Cass, Faith, Kate, Kayla, Leah, Maddie, MC
|This Week’s Anticipated Harvest:
Mixed Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Peppers, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Lettuce, Chard, Basil
Cherry tomatoes, cucamelon
Big Green Truck Pizza
Big Green Truck Pizza will be at the farm from 3-6pm on Tuesdays once per month:
- Tuesday, September 5
- Tuesday, October 3
They’ll be parked in the parking area, making a variety of their favorite pies for you to choose from. Payment can be made to Big Green Truck here with cash, venmo, or paypal.
CSA parking area/pickup images
See images below for an overhead view of the pickup areas at Massaro and at District.
|Recipes and Cooking Ideas
Tomato & Cheese Topped Frittata
from Caty Poole
- 8-10 eggs
- 1 medium-large heirloom tomato, sliced in thick wheels (you want 5-6 slices)
- 1 Japanese eggplant or 1 small Italian eggplant, cubed
- 1 1 1/2 cups cubed zucchini or yellow squash
- 1/2 yellow onion or 3 farm scallions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or gruyère
- seasonal herbs – ~ 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, dill, parsley, oregano or basil (choose one)
- optional: 1-2 cloves garlic; paprika
- olive oil, salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 375. Chop eggplant, onions and zucchini. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet or sauté pan and sauté the vegetable. Start with onions and when they are soft, add eggplant. Cook until eggplant can be pierced with a fork, then add zucchini. Cook to ‘al dente’. You do not want this mixture to be overly mushy as it’s going to bake in the oven. Total vegetable cook time ~10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl, adding 1/4 cup of water (or your milk of choice). Use another tablespoon of olive oil to oil your baking pan. I use a 1″ deep quiche pan but you can also use a pie dish or a round cake layer pan. Scoop all cooked vegetables into the pan and spread evenly. Top with 1/2 of the grated cheese and 1/2 your herbs. Pour eggs over vegetables. Lay slices of tomato in a circular fashion across the top of the entire dish and top with remaining cheese, herbs and salt and pepper. Paprika gives it a nice golden color while baking. Bake 30 minutes or until firm in the center. Serve with a hearty salad and/or crusty bread. Leftovers can be eaten cold or warm for breakfast!
|CSA Pickup Instructions and Reminders
Reminder emails from GrownBy: GrownBy sends reminder emails ahead of your CSA pickup day each week for our 20-week subscribers, and uses a default of picking up alternating weeks, beginning with either week 1 or 2 for our 10-week subscribers. We know that many people switch pickup days as needed, and have a different pickup plan than the alternating weeks. As a result, you may receive some reminder emails that don’t match with your pickup plan or changes. Know that we are working with GrownBy to make adjustments to the auto reminder emails. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding on this.
On-Farm Pickups – Tuesdays 2:30-6:30pm; Fridays 12:30-5:30pm
- Come on in to the big red barn: Park in the parking area on the north side of the barn, walk down the steps and and enter the barn through the east barn door entry. Our harvest will be set out in bins with instructions for you to select and bag your own produce. Staff and/or volunteers will be there to help you as needed. Please bring your own bag or box.
- Please note that we will no longer be offering the drive thru pick up option. We will make up a few bags in advance for a quick pickup option for those who might need it.
- There is a handicap parking spot and an additional accessible spot next to the entry/exit on the south side of the barn.
- ALWAYS DRIVE SLOWLY at the farm – there is often programming here for kids, and the farm family with young children live here.
- When U-Pick crops are available, we recommend doing U-Pick first, then picking up your CSA when you are done. See map.
Delivery to District – Wednesdays, 3:30-7:30pm
- Located at 470 James St. at State St.
- Go to Door 004 for District Athletic Club (see map).
- CSA boxes will be stacked through the door and down the hall in the gym kitchen area.
- Pick up time is 3:30-7:30pm on Wednesdays.
- Take only one box of produce unless otherwise indicated, all boxes will be the same. Return your box each week and pick up a new one.
Egg CSA Subscriptions
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
- Massaro Farm Egg cartons can be returned to us as long as they are in good, clean condition.
- Comes from High Hill Orchard in Meriden.
- Typically begins in early July once blueberries are ready to harvest.
- Pickup along with your vegetables on your regular pickup day and location.
Farm Store – for on-farm pick up only; not available for New Haven delivery
- Our eggs, honey and tomato products will be available each week as long as we have them. Purchase at pickup along with your produce.
- Products from our partner farms and local vendors may be available as well.
Communications: We send out a weekly CSA newsletter during the harvest season, and additional messages throughout the year. Please read them. There is often helpful information in them, or important updates that might answer questions you have. We also share news, stories and photos on facebook and instagram.
If you have a question, request, feedback, or need to be in touch for any reason, emailing us at [email protected] is the best means of communication. This email is checked regularly, and we do our best to respond quickly. We’d love to talk with you when you are here on the farm and we can usually be found around the barn during CSA pickup hours, so grab our ears, pick our brains, chat us up or tell us what’s on your mind!
Bags: Please bring a reusable bag or box to take your produce home in. We will have compostable bags available for you if needed.
What if I miss a week?: If you are not able to make it to the farm to pick up your produce on a given week, you are welcome to have someone else pick up it up for you. Simply have them come to the farm or District on your behalf. Any produce that is not picked up will be donated, so know that it is put to good use! If you do miss a week, please understand that you are not entitled to additional produce on another week.
Produce Donations: Part of the farm’s mission and commitment to the community is to donate produce to local hunger relief organizations, which is more important than ever right now. To make this happen, we harvest additional produce for donation on CSA distribution days. Any produce not picked up by our CSA members is added to that donation. Thus, if you can’t make it one week to get your vegetables, know that your produce will go to people in need and is never wasted.
Want more of our produce?: As our harvest allows, we will offer additional produce for sale at the farm. If you don’t see something you want available in the store, please do let us know when you are here and we’ll see if we can offer it. We will be at the Q House market at 197 Dixwell Ave in New Have on Wednesday afternoons from 3-6pm and some weekend markets again beginning in late July.
Payment plans, and final payments: If you signed up through GrownBy for weekly or monthly payment plans, your card will be charged automatically. Please make sure your card is up to date. If you paid by check and you still have a balance for the CSA, please send in your final payments, or email your payment plan to: [email protected].